воскресенье, 16 сентября 2012 г.

TREMLETT SET TO WALK TALL.(Sport) - Birmingham Mail (England)

Byline: David Clough

THE 'real Chris Tremlett' has come of age as the natural aggressor England need to continue their intimidation of Sri Lanka.

Tremlett admits he would once have shied away from a verbal confrontation with opposition batsmen, or worse still managed only a hapless pretence that he had a big attitude to go with his 6ft 8in physique.

But after seven Tests, a prominent role in England's Ashes series win last winter and at the age of 29, there is no more affectation in his dominant body language.

The Tremlett of old would have surely shrunk from claiming physical superiority over his fellow beanpole pace bowlers in what will be the tallest pace trio in Test history if England pick him, Steven Finn and Stuart Broad at Lord's tomorrow.

Yet with maturity, he has found the confidence to publicly describe Broad - a mere 6ft 6in - as a 'midget'.

Tremlett will be happy to display his new alpha-male persona too, if England decide the way to consolidate their 1-0 advantage from Cardiff is to rough up Sri Lanka's more diminutive batting lineup.

'Naturally I'm a pretty wide-built guy and I'm a pretty intimidating character to face,' said Tremlett, who traces much of his progression back to his decision to leave Hampshire for Surrey.

'I guess I've always been a believer in letting the ball do the talking.

'But naturally I've become a bit more aggressive and guess my competitiveness has gone up, certainly since moving to Surrey.'

He was still playing for his native county when he made his Test debut four years ago.

'I did try to be aggressive but I guess it was forced a bit, to be honest.

'I tried to be someone I wasn't... it was difficult to be nasty.'

It was at Hampshire, though, that Tremlett began to digest the home truth - from his captain Shane Warne - that he needed a cutting edge on the field.

'I won't disagree with Warney,' he said. 'I was a bit timid at times - but the older I've got, with more confi-dence, being more aggressive comes more naturally to me.'

As for his place at the top of England's pecking order, Tremlett is prepared to admit Finn runs him close - but does not mince his words about Broad.

'We're very close,' he said, invited to assess his and Finn's height.

'I probably look a lot taller, but standing next to him I've only just got him covered.

'But Broad's a midget, compared to me.'

CAPTION(S):

Intimidating: The 6ft 8ins frame of Chris Tremlett.